Tyler Brain Injury Attorney
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are some of the most serious you can face in an accident. The brain is such an important part of the body. Not only does it control all aspects of bodily function, but it also contains who you are as a person. Brain damage can be physically and mentally debilitating. You could face chronic pain, paralysis, mental deficiencies, and so many other severe symptoms. A Tyler brain injury attorney understands what you are going through and wants to be there to help.
The 5-star TBI attorneys at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers know what it takes to properly represent you. We are incredibly skilled at pursuing justice for our clients. We have decades of experience standing up to big insurance companies, corporate parties, and other tough opponents. We know how to be effective even when dealing with very complicated TBI claims.
Whether you or someone you love was injured, a traumatic brain injury deserves proper representation. Our compassionate advocates can provide unparalleled legal representation for you and your family. Speak with a Tyler TX TBI lawyer in a free consultation. We are here to help you 24/7.
What Is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury occurs because of a significant blow to the head. This is usually caused by some accident or other external event. The two main causes of TBIs include:
- Direct Impact to the Skull. A TBI may result from a strike to the head from a foreign object. Many are closed-head injuries that do not break the skull. Others may crack the skull or even penetrate it and the brain. All of these traumatic harms can do devastating damage to the injured victim.
- Violent Shaking. An external force can cause the brain to slam against the inside of the skull. These are typically closed-head injuries, but the damage is still extreme. They can cause concussions, hemorrhages, and even death.
A TBI can have numerous and lasting impacts on a person's life. These injuries can accumulate and complicate each other making the symptoms even more severe. They typically require significant care, hospitalization, and extensive recovery.
Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury
A traumatic brain injury in Tyler may result in severe symptoms such as, but not limited to:
- Cognitive defects and deficiencies
- Skull fractures
- Penetrating injuries
- Intracranial pressuring and hemorrhages
- Changes in mood, communication skills, and perception
- Depression or anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts or death by suicide
- Wrongful death
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ( CDC), TBIs occur frequently and many have severe effects on an injured person's life as well as the lives of their family members.
- TBIs cause approximately 33% of all deaths from an injury not caused by an illness
- Females suffer half the number of TBIs as males
- The lifetime cost of a TBI and its care may range from $85,000 to $3 million
- Complications of traumatic brain injuries kill approximately 166 Americans every day
- Approximately 620 Americans are hospitalized with a TBI every day
- Children under 17 and adults over 55 have the greatest risk of a traumatic brain injury
These statistics show just how serious this harm can be. If you or someone you love has suffered a TBI because of another's negligence, our dedicated team of attorneys is here to help you fight for compensation.
Four Primary Causes of TBIs in Tyler, TX
Another person's negligence is the main cause of most traumatic brain injuries. This negligence may occur at home, at work, on the roadways, or anywhere else. Four of the most common causes include the following:
The main cause of TBIs is falling accidents. Falls cause around 33% of all deadly TBIs according to the CDC. Many of these fall accidents occur from a great height leading to especially severe damage. Falls may occur because of:
- Deck, porch, or balcony collapses
- Slips and falls in grocery stores or other big box stores
- Slippery or dangerous substances on the floor
- Trip hazards and defective staircases
- Work injuries
- Premises liability injuries
#2: Traffic Collisions
Car and truck accidents are other leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information ( NCBI), motor vehicle wrecks cause 50% of survivable TBIs and 25% of fatal TBIs. Other crucial details to know about motor vehicle accident TBIs include:
- TBIs can happen in 18-wheeler accidents, car accidents, bus crashes, pedestrian collisions, and much more.
- Driver negligence is a major contributor to TBIs. Additionally, defective vehicle parts, bad weather conditions, and motor carrier negligence may be to blame.
- It usually takes careful investigation to ascertain liability for TBI accidents.
#3: Work Accidents
Workplace accidents often lead to serious traumatic brain injuries. This can occur as the result of:
- Falls from a great height. Loggers, electricians, roofers, construction employees, and many others work at heights. A severe fall can cause a deadly TBI.
- Hazardous substances. Many workers are around dangerous, flammable, or explosive chemicals that can lead to a serious accident.
- Industrial equipment. Heavy and dangerous equipment may be improperly used or malfunction. This may cause a serious head and brain injury.
#4: Defective Products
A product is supposed to work as intended and be reasonably safe. When a manufacturer poorly designs or constructs a product, it can be extremely dangerous. Products may include defective vehicles, appliances, toys, machines, or any other object a consumer may use. Injuries may happen to adults or even children because a manufacturer was negligent.
Compensation in Tyler TBI Cases
Compensation in a Tyler TX TBI case often includes, but is not necessarily limited to:
- Past and future medical costs
- Rehabilitation costs
- Costs of adapting home or vehicle to disabilities
- Property damages
- Lost income or earning capacity
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death damages
These forms of compensation and many others may be available in a properly proven case. Let our experienced team of traumatic brain injury lawyers seek compensation in your case.
Work With an Experienced TBI Attorney in Tyler, Texas
Our dedicated team of TBI attorneys represents clients in Tyler and the surrounding areas. We know how to properly investigate the cause of your traumatic brain injuries and seek proper compensation for you. You could be owed a substantial damages award for everything you have been through. This process can seem daunting, but the attorneys at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers know what it takes.
We are known for our integrity, success, and excellence in representing our clients. We are proud to focus on helping you get the best possible outcome for your traumatic brain injury claim. Let an experienced Tyler brain injury attorney help you seek compensation.