Shreveport Failure to Obey Traffic Signals Lawyer
Did you know that two people are killed each day because of negligent drivers who run red lights? In Shreveport, LA, too many competent drivers have to deal with other motorists on the road who fail to obey traffic signals. Such disregard for the rules of the road can greatly increase the risk of an accident. Discover how a Shreveport lawyer can help you recover after an accident due to another driver's failure to obey traffic signals.
Shreveport Failure to Obey Traffic Signals Lawyer
While most drivers are careful and know that following traffic signals are vital for safety, some can act negligently, ignore traffic signals, and blow through red lights. This type of behavior significantly increases the risks of car accident-related injuries and death. Still, we see these actions daily in and around Shreveport.
Between 2016 and 2019, Shreveport reported 103 fatal car accidents, totaling 107 fatalities. For a city with a population under 200,000, these numbers are especially alarming.
Running Red Lights Is a Leading & Preventable Cause of Car Crashes, Injuries, and Death
Many roadway deaths could be prevented if drivers stopped running red lights and obeyed traffic signals. Around 23% of drivers surveyed admitted to running a red light in the last 30 days.
When a negligent driver disregards traffic signals and it results in a car accident, they may be liable for the injuries, damages, and suffering experienced by the victims.
To learn more about how these negligent acts can cause accidents and what victims need to know after a car crash, click on any link below to jump directly to a specific section:
- Why Do Drivers Fail to Obey Traffic Signals and Run Red Lights?
- Red Light Accident Statistics
- How Do I Prove That Another Driver Ignored Traffic Signals and Caused a Crash in Shreveport?
Why Do Drivers Fail to Obey Traffic Signals and Run Red Lights?
The main reason a driver may not obey traffic signs and signals is negligence. However, there could be several factors underlying that negligence, such as:
- Driver distraction, impairment, or fatigue: Inattention, drowsiness, and intoxication can negatively impact a driver's ability and reaction time. These factors can prevent drivers from seeing and responding to a constantly changing environment. When drunk, distracted, or tired drivers approach intersections, they are at a greater risk of running a red light and causing a severe accident.
- Driver inexperience: Drivers with less experience are not as used to navigating traffic signals. They are more likely to misjudge their timing about whether to stop or continue through a yellow light. Making a wrong call, can lead them to break traffic laws, confuse other drivers, and maybe cause an accident.
- Road Rage: Roadway aggression is serious. An angry and aggressive driver is often distracted and motivated to drive recklessly. This may mean they will intentionally run red lights, greatly increasingly their risk of getting into a terrible car accident.
In some cases, a traffic sign could be missing or a dangerous intersection is in need of a new warning sign. In Shreveport, LA, you can contact the Department of Public Works, Traffic Engineering to report a missing sign or request a new sign in your neighborhood.
Red Light Accident Statistics
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the American Automobile Association (AAA), the statistics on intersection accidents and red light wrecks highlight the prevalence and deadliness of these crashes:
- The drivers who are most likely to run red lights and ignore other traffic signals are younger males with a history of car accidents or prior DUIs.
- Roughly 28% of intersection accidents are the result of a driver running through a red light.
- Around 86% of drivers agree that running a red light is incredibly dangerous. Still, almost 1 in 3 of those drivers admitted to running a red light in the past month.
- Accidents caused by a motorist's failure to follow traffic signals have increased by over 10% since 2012.
- Approximately 143,000 people are injured annually in red light wrecks. That's roughly 392 traffic injuries per day.
- In 2019, in Shreveport, there were 26 fatalities and 39 vehicles involved in fatal car accidents. Almost half of the fatality-related accidents involved a drunk driver.
These statistics can be hard to swallow, especially knowing that these types of accidents can easily be avoided. Still, no statistic can do justice to victims who have suffered serious medical injuries due to another driver's negligent or reckless driving.
If you have been the victim of a similar injury, contact an experienced Shreveport failure to obey traffic signals lawyer today to discuss your rights and legal options.
How Do I Prove That Another Driver Ignored Traffic Signals and Caused a Crash in Shreveport?
If you've been in a car crash due to another driver ignoring traffic signs or signals, there are several ways you can establish liability. Proving the other party's fault may include evidence like:
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Red light camera photos
- Spectator footage of the crash
- Dashcam footage
- Commercial or residential surveillance camera footage
- Taking photos or videos of the accident scene
- Testimony from an accident reconstructionist
If your accident happened in Shreveport or surrounding areas in Louisiana, you can consult a map of Louisiana's red-light cameras to see if it may have caught footage.
If you aren't sure if you have enough evidence for a lawsuit, contact a specialized Shreveport failure to obey traffic signals lawyer to discuss your potential case.
Talk to a Shreveport Failure to Obey Traffic Signals Lawyer Before It's Too Late
There is no cost, risk, or obligation to speak with a car accident attorney about your potential case. You can receive essential answers about your rights and legal options. The sooner you know your rights, the sooner you can begin protecting them and recovering damages for your losses.
Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers is a 5-star-reviewed firm. An experienced Shreveport failure to obey traffic signals attorney is ready to explain your rights and options and advocate for your case in court. We're an experienced team that knows how to win car accident cases, including those involving a failure to obey traffic signals. Contact us today to help you successfully recover your losses.
Call 888-492-5332 or Email Us for a Free Confidential Consultation. Your path to justice can start with a call or an email.