Shreveport Improper Lane Changes Accident Lawyer
Across the U.S., improper and illegal lane usage is a leading cause of fatalities on our roadways. If you live in Shreveport, Louisiana, you've likely seen many unsafe lane changes while driving. You may have even been affected by drivers engaging in risky maneuvers. If you believe you have been a victim of improper lane changes, you should contact an experienced Shreveport accident lawyer today to discuss your legal options.
Shreveport Improper Lane Changes Accident Lawyer
Improper lane changes contribute to almost 7% of traffic deaths annually. If you have been the victim of an illegal, risky, or abrupt lane change, you may be able to bring a claim against the at-fault driver and recover damages. You should first speak with a local Shreveport improper lane changes accident lawyer to review your case.
Click on one of the links below to jump directly to that section and get answers about accidents caused by dangerous lane changes. Find out what victims need to know and what they are entitled to.
- What Is an Improper or Unsafe Lane Change?
- Why Do Drivers Make Unsafe Lane Changes?
- How Do Unsafe Lane Changes Result in Motor Accidents?
In Shreveport, Louisiana state law shapes the rules of the road and details what is legal versus illegal regarding safe lane changes. In general, the law states the following:
- Drivers should use signals to warn other motorists when they plan on changing lanes.
- Drivers should not initiate a lane change unless there is sufficient room.
These laws apply to daily traffic as well as for emergency vehicles that need to pass and make lane changes, rather they are en route to an emergency or parked on the side of the road.
Any driver that fails to comply with these laws could be liable for making dangerous or illegal lane changes. Several examples of risky driving maneuvers include:
- Changing lanes without enough time to do so safely
- Taking up two lanes of traffic
- Changing lanes before checking blind spots
- Changing lanes without using signals
- Accidentally using the wrong blinker before changing lanes
Any of these mistakes can increase your risk of a dangerous roadway accident.
We've all seen drivers making risky maneuvers in Shreveport. Sometimes they are justified, like when a car darts suddenly into the next lane to avoid a potential collision or some other obstacle. However, most examples of risky driving are wholly unjustified and simply the result of negligence, recklessness, or carelessness by the driver. These unjustified risky behaviors are more likely to occur when the driver is:
- Distracted: Distracted drivers are less aware of what's happening in their environment and may not react as quickly to potential dangers and other unsafe drivers. They are more likely to become either a victim of another risky driver or a danger themselves. In fact, driver distraction is a risk factor in up to 57% of improper lane changing accidents.
- Impaired: Most people are aware of the danger of drunk or drugged drivers. They tend to lack perception and their reaction time is prolonged. They may not notice other vehicles or obstacles in their environment and may even drift into neighboring lanes without realizing it.
- Fatigued: A tired driver is comparable to an impaired one. After 24 hours without sleep, a tired driver may be just as impaired as a drunk driver.
- Careless: Drivers who are careless about roadway safety and traffic laws may exhibit risky driving behavior in general. Factors such as inexperience and road rage can increase a motorist's carelessness while driving.
The truth is, there is no excuse for improperly changing lanes. No matter the reason, these drivers can ultimately cause terrible accidents, resulting in property damage, debilitating injuries, and even death. A risky motorist should be held liable for their dangerous and illegal actions.
There are many ways that risky lane changes can result in serious motorway accidents in Shreveport. When a motorist makes a risky lane change, there's a variety of things that can go wrong. For example:
- They overestimate the space available and hit another car.
- They fail to check the lane first and run another car off the road.
- They fail to check their blind spots and hit a driver they may not have seen.
- In an effort to avoid an accident, other drivers react to the unsafe driver and mistakenly cause a chain reaction of risky maneuvers.
The effects of dangerous and illegal lane changes can be amplified when other factors are added to the mix, including:
- Poor road conditions
- High speeds
- Heavy traffic conditions
- Bad weather or low visibility conditions, such as fog, heavy rain, snow, or ice
- Semi-trucks and other over-sized vehicles
- Multiple lanes of traffic
If you believe you are a victim of an illegal or risky lane change, it's important to contact an attorney in Shreveport who specializes in these types of auto accidents.
Talk to a Shreveport Improper Lane Changes Accident Lawyer Today
Negligent drivers who make improper lane changes can cause horrific car accidents that may lead to extensive property damage and life-threatening injuries to other innocent motorists. If you find yourself impacted by a reckless driver, you need a 5-star Shreveport improper lane changes accident lawyer on your side.
Contact Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers. We understand the myriad challenges victims face when making lane change accident claims. We're ready to help you recover your damages and fight for the compensation and justice you deserve. Contact us today.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation. Your path to justice can start with a call or an email.