Ruston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Fighting Relentlessly to Help Injured Riders Get Justice & Recover
The excitement of riding motorcycles ends in accidents, injury, and death far too often. Whether motorcycle wrecks happen on I-20, Hwy 167, or other busy roads in Ruston, LA, many are caused by preventable negligence. When that happens, victims can turn to Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers for honest answers and extraordinary advocacy in the pursuit of justice.
Backed by more than two decades of experience, our 5-star Ruston motorcycle accident lawyers know how to win when it matters most. We handle all types of motorcycle accident cases, providing fierce, winning representation no matter how challenging a case may be.
Whenever you need answers, we’re here for you, ready to help 24/7.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation.
Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers has recovered millions for motorcycle accident survivors and victims’ families. Let us make your claim and recovery our next victory.
Click on a link below to jump directly to a section and learn more about motorcycle accident causes, lawyers, cases, and compensation.
- What Causes Most Motorcycle Accidents in Ruston, LA?
- Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Ruston, LA
- Do I Have a Claim After a Ruston Motorcycle Accident?
- When Should I File a Motorcycle Accident Claim in Ruston, LA?
- How Can a Ruston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help Me?
- What Does Motorcycle Accident Compensation Cover?
Careless, reckless, and negligent acts cause most motorcycle accidents. This can involve actions that occur right before a crash or long before it, and various parties can share the blame, depending on how a motorcycle wreck occurs.
Below is a closer look at the more common forms of negligence that cause motorcycle accidents in Ruston, LA.
Drivers, truckers, and motorcyclists may not be as careful as they should be when they’re traveling on Ruston’s roads. In many cases, impairment or distraction is to blame. Regardless, motorist negligence can lead to dangerous mistakes, risky decisions, and terrible motorcycle wrecks.
Some of the more common forms of motorist negligence that cause motorcycle accidents in Ruston, LA, include:
- Drunk driving or riding
- Motorist distraction
- Motorist fatigue
- Failing to check blind spots
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Running red lights
- Inexperience (behind the wheel, on specific roads, or driving in adverse weather conditions)
A Ruston motorcycle accident lawyer at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can help you figure out if another motorist may be at fault for your wreck and, if so, how to prove this negligence when it’s time to pursue a claim.
Equipment Defects & Failures
Vital parts and safety systems on motorcycles can fail for various reasons. Often, that happens when motorcycles, cars, trucks, and/or their components malfunction due to factors like (but not limited to):
- Unsafe or flawed design
- Manufacturing failures
- Incorrect assembly or installation
- Failures to replace or repair aging, recalled, or broken equipment
- Safety testing failures
Determining when defective equipment may have caused a motorcycle can be complicated work. In fact, this usually requires an intensive documentation analysis, expert witnesses, and the guidance of an experienced Ruston attorney.
Other Motorcycle Accident Causes
Whether or not drivers or vehicles contribute to motorcycle wrecks, many other factors can also be involved. These can include:
- Dangerous roads: This means roads are dangerous by design or that they are slick or poorly maintained. Dangerous roads can mean more blind spots, high chances of tire blowouts, and other big risks that can lead to motorcycle accidents.
- Risky traffic conditions: Congestion, work zones, and debris in the roads can make it difficult for drivers and motorcyclists to safely navigate through Ruston. Sometimes, these complicated traffic conditions can set the stage for serious motorcycle crashes.
The latest statistics on motorcycle accidents make it clear that far too many riders are getting hurt and killed in Ruston, Louisiana, and throughout the U.S. (sources: NHTSA Motorcycle Info, NHTSA Report & LSU):
- Every day, about 225 motorcyclists are hurt in wrecks.
- About 1 in 7 fatal traffic injuries affects a motorcyclist.
- Motorcyclists are about 29 times more likely to die on the roads than the average driver.
- Every year since 2018, about 5,000 riders have been killed in motorcycle crashes.
- The chances that alcohol impairment is involved in a motorcycle accident triple at night.
- About 50% of deadly motorcycle accidents happen on Saturdays or Sundays.
- In Louisiana, about 1 in 3 fatal motorcycle accidents involves alcohol impairment.
- More than 4 in every 5 Louisiana riders wear a helmet.
- Wearing helmets can reduce riders’ risk of catastrophic and fatal injuries by nearly 50%.
- About 13% of riders killed in Louisiana motorcycle accidents were not wearing helmets when crashes happened.
If you are not incapacitated after a motorcycle wreck in Ruston, call 911 so that the Ruston Police or other authorities respond ASAP. As you wait for help, do as much of the following as you can:
- Collect information and evidence: Get contact and insurance information from the other motorists. Also, take pictures and videos of the damage, the larger scene, and as many details as you can capture.
- Be careful about what you say: Your words can go a long way towards shielding you from or exposing you to fault later. So, don’t apologize, and don’t say anything other than the basic facts. This should be a rule of thumb when you’re talking to anyone at the accident scene.
- Seek medical care immediately: If you don’t get checked out by EMTs at the scene — or if you don’t go to the ER after — see a doctor as soon as you can. And don’t stop getting the treatment you need. If you do, you could end up being blamed for making your injuries worse.
- Tell your insurance company about the accident: Try to report the motorcycle crash to your insurance company within a couple of days of the crash, if not sooner. The longer you wait to inform your insurer, the more challenges you could face later.
- Get answers about your rights and a potential claim: The best way to do that is to contact a Ruston motorcycle accident lawyer at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers and set up a free consultation.
You may have a claim against the negligent party or parties, depending on when the accident occurred, who is at fault, and what you can prove. Specifically, you may be able to sue after a motorcycle accident in Ruston IF:
- The filing deadline (statute of limitations) for your claim has not already passed.
- You were not primarily at fault for causing the motorcycle accident.
- You have evidence (or evidence is available) to prove damages, negligence, and liability.
- You have not already accepted or cashed a motorcycle accident settlement.
Get a “Yes” or “No” answer by talking to a Ruston motorcycle accident attorney in a free, confidential consultation.
It’s typically in your best interests to file your case as soon as you know you have one. Even if you are not sure who every liable party is — or even if you’re still in the investigation and evidence-gathering phase of your claim — taking action to file ASAP can be integral to:
- Putting at-fault parties on notice of legal action
- Preserving important evidence for your claim
- Getting the ball rolling so that you don’t have to wait longer than necessary to obtain the compensation you may deserve
Keep in mind that Louisiana law sets a one-year statute of limitations for motorcycle accident cases. The starting point for that one-year timeline can vary, depending on when your injuries were diagnosed (or when a loved one’s injuries ended up being fatal).
By taking swift action to pursue a claim, you can give yourself far better chances of crafting a stronger claim and achieving a better resolution.
Whatever it takes to build and resolve your case can be handled by a Ruston motorcycle accident attorney. That can mean investigating claims and going the extra mile to gather important evidence. It can also involve working with insurance companies, handling tough negotiations, and going to court when necessary.
Ultimately, a Ruston motorcycle accident lawyer can work to bring your claim to the best possible outcome. Over the weeks, months, or years that could take, you can focus on healing — instead of trying to lead the fight for the justice and compensation you may deserve.
Recoveries for motorcycle accident claims are meant to compensate victims for their losses, injuries, pain, and suffering. That means that compensation amounts will vary by case and that it’s important to carefully calculate the full breadth of the losses suffered.
Usually, compensation for motorcycle accidents in Ruston, LA, can include damages for (but not limited to):
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Lost wages, benefits, and bonuses (past & future)
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral expenses (after deadly crashes)
- Loss of consortium
These financial recoveries can never change what happened, but they can help motorcycle accident survivors and families start to heal and rebuild their lives.
A 5-Star Ruston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Is Ready to Help You
You are not alone after a motorcycle accident, and there’s no reason to wait for answers. Find out more about your rights and a potential claim by contacting aRuston motorcycle accident lawyer at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers.
We are known for providing extraordinary representation, and after decades of winning the most challenging cases, we have a reputation for excellence, integrity, and success. Discover the difference our team can make in your case and recovery by contacting us today.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation. Your path to justice can start with a call or an email.