Ruston Bus Accident Lawyer
Tireless Advocacy from Trial-Tested Bus Accident Attorneys Who Know How to Win
Bus wrecks are some of the most devastating traffic crashes on W. Alabama Ave., Martin Luther King Dr., and other busy roads in Ruston, Louisiana. No matter where or when bus accidents happen in Ruston, you can rely on Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers for exceptional advocacy and compassionate counsel when it’s time to recover.
For more than two decades, our 5-star Ruston bus accident attorneys have been helping victims just like you navigate the road to justice and recovery. Skilled, strategic, and relentless, we know how to win the toughest cases and secure full, fair compensation when it matters most.
Whether you need answers or you’re ready to file a bus accident claim, we’re ready to help you 27/4.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation.
Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers has recovered millions in all types of bus accident cases, representing crash survivors and families who have lost loved ones to deadly wrecks. Let us make your claim and recovery our next victory.
Click on a link below to jump directly to a section and learn more about bus accident causes, lawyers, cases, and compensation.
Most bus accidents are caused by some type of reckless or negligent act. On the roads, that can mean anything from aggressive or careless driving to serious safety failures on the part of bus companies, vehicle equipment manufacturers, and/or others.
Here is a deeper dive into some of the more common forms of negligence that cause bus wrecks in Ruston, LA.
Motorist Negligence & Bus Accidents
Driver errors are a leading cause of traffic collisions, including bus crashes. From car and bus drivers to truckers and other motorists, driver negligence tends to include reckless actions like (but not limited to):
- Aggressive driving
- Drug and/or alcohol impairment
- Driver fatigue
- Inattention or distraction
- Failures to comply with bus regulations
- Failures to abide by traffic laws
Driver negligence can come at the hands of multiple motorists, especially in dense traffic conditions. Although it’s not always easy to know if motorist negligence caused a bus accident, looking at certain evidence — like crash photos, cellphone records, and police reports — can be helpful.
A Ruston bus accident attorney at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can conduct a thorough investigation of your crash to determine if driver negligence was involved and, if so, which motorists are at fault.
Bus Company Negligence
The private companies and government agencies that run buses in Ruston, Louisiana, are required to follow certain safety regulations. Those are aimed at ensuring that only safe, well-trained drivers and safe, well-maintained buses are put on the roads. When these parties fail to comply with those regulations, they can be liable for any wrecks that result from their negligence.
Here, it’s important to note that there can be different deadlines for bus accident claims involving private companies versus government agencies. An attorney can help you understand what deadlines you’re working against so that you don’t miss the opportunity to file your claim and seek justice.
Vehicle Issues & Bus Wrecks
Vehicles and their vital components can malfunction on the roads and cause crashes. In fact, buses and other commercial vehicles are twice as likely to experience equipment failures on the road, when compared to passenger vehicles (source:FMCSA).
This tends to happen when buses or other vehicles are not properly maintained. However, it’s also possible for equipment to fail due to:
- Inherent design flaws
- Cutting corners with manufacturing processes
- Improper installation
- Failures to conduct the proper safety tests
Various parties — from vehicle makers and equipment manufacturers to bus operators and bus companies — can be liable for the crashes caused by defective or faulty vehicle equipment.
Other Bus Accident Causes: Weather & Roads
The weather and the roads can also be key factors in causing bus crashes. In fact, the weather can reduce visibility and traction on the roads, making it necessary to drive slower in buses and operate them with far more caution.
Similarly, the roads themselves may present risks even in good weather — from congestion and debris in the roads to highway work zones and poorly maintained roads. Consequently, road and traffic conditions are also important to look at after bus accidents in Ruston, LA.
Looking at the latest bus accident statistics clearly shows how often these wrecks are hurting and killing people on the roads, both across the U.S. and throughout Louisiana (sources: FMCSA Guide, FMCSA CMV Facts, & FMCSA State Data).
- More than 1 in 4 people killed in bus accidents are outside of the bus when the wreck occurs.
- Since 2015, nearly 9 in 10 non-occupants who are killed in bus crashes have been pedestrians.
- On average, about 28,000 people have been hurt in bus wrecks every year since 2015.
- Buses driving cross-country are 3 to 6 times more likely to be involved in a wreck when compared to van buses, mini-buses, and school buses.
- Since 2017, school bus accidents have nearly doubled.
- Louisiana ranks among the top 10 states to see the most fatal bus accidents each year in the U.S.
- Since 2019, Louisiana bus accidents have been on the decline. In fact, while total bus crashes in LA have dropped by more than 40%, the injuries from these crashes have fallen by more than 52%.
Clearly, even if you never ride a bus, simply sharing the roads with them can be incredibly risky. As jaw-dropping as these bus accident statistics are, they don’t shed light on the hardships or trauma victims are left to bear after these wrecks happen.
Move to the side of the road, away from traffic, and dial 911 immediately. Wait for Ruston Police or other authorities to arrive at the scene. As you do, here are the next steps to take:
- Gather evidence: Collect information from the other motorists in the crash and any witnesses you can. Also, take tons of pictures and videos of the wreckage, the people at the scene, and other key details related to the crash.
- Watch your words: When you’re talking to anyone other than your lawyer, only state facts, like where or when the accident happened. Never admit fault or say sorry, even if you think you’re to blame.
- See a doctor ASAP: At the scene or right after you leave, get medical attention. You may not feel injured due to shock or adrenaline, so don’t shrug off or discount your potential injuries. Getting medical attention can lead to early diagnoses and interventions. It also ensures the damage and injuries you suffered in the crash are documented.
- Report the crash to the insurance company: If you were hit by a bus (rather than being a passenger on the bus when a crash happens), report the accident to your insurance company as soon as you can.
- Consult an attorney: A Ruston bus accident lawyer at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can give you essential answers and advice about a potential claim.
You need to talk to a Ruston bus accident lawyer to get a ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ answer here. That’s because an attorney will need to take a closer look at your crash to figure out if you have a claim. Specifically, a lawyer will want you to answer these questions (and likely others):
- When (on what date) did the bus accident happen?
- When (on what date) were the injuries diagnosed?
- What parties do you believe are at fault?
- Were you in any way at fault, even partially, for the accident?
- What evidence of fault or damages do you have so far?
- What have you said about the accident to others (other drivers, police, or the insurance company)?
Discussing your answers with a Ruston bus accident attorney is the best way to understand whether you have a claim and, if so, how to initiate it the right way.
Everything necessary to win your case. The truth is that having a claim isn’t enough to win. You can face a real battle trying to get the compensation you may deserve, and Ruston bus accident attorney can lead the charge to give you far better chances of winning.
To do that, your lawyer can do essential things to craft you a stronger, more persuasive case, including (but not limited to):
- Determining all liable parties and all available legal remedies
- Gathering evidence to strengthen your case
- Managing every administrative detail to initiate and advance your case
- Representing you when it’s time to deal with insurance companies
- Determining the true value of your claim and helping you work to negotiate fair offers
- Taking your case to court whenever it’s not possible to reach favorable settlements out of court
The complex process of resolving bus accident claims can be much more difficult to navigate without the counsel and guidance of an experienced Ruston lawyer. So, don’t gamble with your claim by trying to handle it alone. Let a Ruston bus accident attorney from Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers get you on track for success.
Financial recoveries for bus accident claims are focused on compensating victims for their suffering, injuries, and losses. As such, there is no way to answer this question without knowing the specifics of your claim.
While an attorney can tell you more and give you case-specific answers in an initial consultation, generally, bus accident settlements and compensation include damages for (but not limited to):
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Lost wages, benefits, and bonuses (past & future)
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral expenses (after deadly crashes)
- Loss of consortium
This type of bus accident compensation won’t make catastrophic injuries disappear, and it won’t bring back loved ones. What it will do is give survivors and families the resources they need to get treatment, heal, and start to put their lives back together.
Talk to a Ruston Bus Accident Lawyer Who Is Ready to Help You Now
The sooner you get answers after a Ruston bus accident, the better. Find out more about your rights and legal options by contacting a Ruston bus accident lawyer at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers today.
Tireless, diligent, and fierce, we offer exceptional and representation whenever it’s time to fight for justice. Discover the difference our team can make in your case and recovery by contacting us today.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation. Your path to justice can start with a call or an email.