Ruston Burn Injury Lawyer
5-Star Burn Injury Attorney Fighting for Justice & Fair Compensation
Life may never be the same after you suffer serious burn injuries. The pain, disfigurement, and new health complications from these injuries can be physically and psychologically debilitating. They can also be financially devastating, with astronomical medical bills that could last a lifetime.
Like TBIs and other catastrophic injuries, burn injuries are often caused by avoidable accidents and preventable negligence. When they are, burn victims can be entitled to compensation, and they may have various options for seeking justice.
At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, we are dedicated to helping burn victims recover. No matter how complex a case may be or what challenges we may be up against, our trusted Ruston burn injury lawyers are highly effective at building strong, persuasive claims and winning the maximum available compensation when it matters most.
To get confidential answers about your rights or to get started filing an injury case, simply contact our Ruston burn injury attorneys. We are here for you, ready to take care of everything, and we can start helping you right now.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation 24/7.
Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers has recovered millions in all types of burn injury cases. We represent the injured and families who have lost loved ones to deadly burn injuries. Let us make your claim and recovery our next victory.
Click on a link below to jump directly to a question and answer and learn more about burn injury causes, lawyers, cases, and compensation.
Burns are a form of skin damage caused by an energy source or hazardous substance. Those “sources” of energy can include heat and fire, as well as chemicals and electrical currents. The resulting burn can be mild to severe in nature, depending on the energy source and how much of the skin is exposed to it.
The table below outlines the different types and severity levels of burn injuries.
First- and second-degree burns, though painful, can be treatable with prompt medical attention and the appropriate interventions. More serious third- and fourth-degree burns can leave behind permanent trauma and scarring. While that can mean new impairments and physical limitations, it can also result in new risks of serious infections for burn victims.
- About 4,500 fatal burn injuries occur every year in the U.S.
- Annually, about 1.1 million burn victims seek medical attention for their injuries.
- About 50,000 burn victims need to be hospitalized every year to treat their injuries. More than 50% of these hospitalizations involve burns that cover more than 25% of a patient’s body.
- Up to 10,000 burn victims die each year from burn-related infections.
- Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of burn injuries and deaths. In fact, about 5% of all burn injuries happen in crashes.
- Vehicle fires are responsible for more than 300 deadly burns each year. That’s about 7% of all burn-related deaths that occur annually in the U.S.
- Most burn injuries — at least 4 in 5 — happen at home or work. In fact, while about 73% of burn injuries occur in homes, more than 8% are happening in workplaces.
Call 911 or seek emergency medical care for serious burn injuries. Those include any burns that:
- Blacken or char the skin
- Cause deeper damage to the dermis or underlying tissues
- Cover at least 3 inches of the face, hands, feet, or major joints
Next, take the important steps listed below (whether or not you need to seek emergency care) to prevent further injuries and start obtaining some relief:
- Stop, drop and roll to extinguish any flames ASAP.
- Get away from the source of the burns, heat, or fire.
- Remove any tight or restrictive clothing ASAP to prevent further injury.
- Take off any rings, belts, or other accessories that may also be restrictive and harmful after suffering a burn injury.
- Do not try to remove or peel away any items that have already melted onto the skin.
- Clean burn injuries with a cold cloth and cover them up while you await medical treatment.
- Elevate burned areas of the body, ideally above the heart level.
- Be on the lookout for any signs of shock, like fainting or breathing complications.
- Follow through with all medical care that doctors prescribe to treat burn injuries.
- Talk to a Ruston burn injury lawyer who can help you figure out if you have a claim and, if so, how to take the next steps.
Beyond the actual heat source or hazard that damages the skin, burn injuries can be caused by any number of different events. Here’s a closer look at some of the most common incidents that cause serious burn injuries. In many cases, negligence is at play when these incidents happen.
Burn Injury Cause #1: Motor Vehicle Accidents
Auto crashes, car fires, and explosions can all cause horrific burn injuries. Additionally, drivers and other road travelers can suffer burns when motor vehicle accidents expose them to:
- Scalding debris from a wreck
- Airbag deployment
- Electrical shocks or live currents
- Caustic chemicals
Negligent drivers may be at fault for these crashes. Others may be too. It’s important to look at the series of events leading up to an auto accident to figure out if or how negligence may have been involved.
Burn Injury Cause #2: Dangerous Products
Fires, explosions, electrical shocks, and chemical exposures can happen when unsafe products fail or malfunction. That can include the products, electronics, appliances, and larger equipment used by both consumers and workers.
In some cases, manufacturers know about the risks of product failures and burn injuries, and they simply fail to disclose those, so they can make a buck at the cost of public safety.
Burn Injury Cause #3: Work Accidents
Workers in industries like (but not limited to) the following tend to have a particularly high risk of burn injuries:
- Food service
- Oil and gas industries
Whether job-related burns are caused by flammable substances, heavy equipment, or other factors, there may be various legal remedies available for injured workers.
If you want a stronger case and better chances of winning it, you want a Ruston burn injury attorney in your corner. With experienced legal representation from a skilled lawyer, you can gain:
- A better understanding of your rights and legal options
- Trusted counsel and priceless advice as you take action to hold negligent parties responsible
- An advocate who knows how to investigate accidents, build strong cases, and represent you as your case moves forward
More specifically, here is a closer look at some key things a Ruston burn injury attorney can do for you when you or someone you love has a claim.
As a burn victim, you may not know exactly how an accident or injury-causing event occurred. Depending on what happened, there may have been several contributing factors and multiple negligent parties. A burn injury attorney can investigate the incident and identify every liable party, so you’re able to file claims against each and pursue the full recovery you may deserve.
Represent You When Insurance Companies Get Involved
Once a burn injury case has been filed, there are good chances an insurance company will enter the picture. When that happens, don’t fall into the trap of thinking that the insurance company is working for you or that you can rely on insurance companies to do right by you and your claim.
They have their own priorities, which include protecting company profits. So, if you have a burn injury claim, remember, insurance companies will likely be looking for ways to get out of paying you.
With a lawyer on your side, however, insurers can be more inclined to play by the rules. They’ll know that a legal professional is watching and waiting to go to court if things go sideways because a claim has been mishandled.
Calculate Damages & Negotiate Burn Injury Settlements
You could be eligible for various damages, including past and future losses, depending on the nature of your burn injury claim. That can be difficult to establish, however, without the help of a burn injury lawyer.
Beyond even knowing what a claim is worth, there’s also the question of reviewing and negotiating settlement offers. Both can be highly complex, particularly when big numbers and high stakes are involved. At this point, your Ruston burn injury attorney can offer essential counsel and guidance. That can be integral to making more informed choices and bringing your case to the best resolution possible.
At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, we can help you with every key aspect of a burn injury claim. We have decades of experience representing people just like you, and we have a record of success that speaks for itself. That can give you peace of mind and confidence that your burn injury case is in good hands.
The amounts of settlements and jury awards for burn injury cases depend on the:
As a result, burn injury compensation is a case-specific matter. So, it’s best to consult a lawyer for a more specific answer here. Setting that point aside, some standard types of damages can come into play for burn injury cases. Generally, these include compensation for (but not limited to):
- The severity and impacts of the burn injuries that victims have suffered: Third- and fourth-degree burns can require costly surgeries, hospitalizations, and other pricey medical care. These injuries can also keep people out of work. Those types of financial impacts are factors in determining how much burn victims may be paid for their claims.
- Liability and, specifically, whether victims may share some fault for causing or worsening their own burn injuries: If victims are partially at fault but still eligible for burn injury compensation, the recoveries granted would be “reduced in proportion to the degree or percentage of negligence attributable to the person suffering the injury, death, or loss,” according to Louisiana state law.
- Past and future medical bills
- Past and future lost earnings
- Lost ability to earn a living
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral expenses (for fatal burn injuries)
A Ruston Burn Injury Lawyer Is Ready to Answer Your Questions & Help You
Getting confidential answers and advice won’t cost you anything. It can be the key to unlocking your options for justice and financial recovery. Whenever you need more information about a potential case, just contact a5-star Ruston burn injury lawyer at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers.
Empowered by 20 years of experience and a reputation for success, we have the skills, knowledge, resources, and winning record you can rely on for exceptional representation in any type of burn injury case. You can also count on us for personal service, compassion, and the advocacy we would want if we were in your shoes.
That’s why we have been recognized as some of the best burn injury lawyers in Ruston, LA — and why you can rely on us for the counsel, guidance, and help you need at every stage of your burn injury case.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation 24/7. Your path to justice can start with a call or an email.