Burn injury Lawyer
Fighting for Justice & Compensation When It Matters Most
Burn injuries can leave permanent scars, deep pain, and lifelong trauma. They can also give rise to legal claims when they’ve been caused by negligent or careless acts.
At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, we are proud to represent burn victims in all types of injury claims. With more than 20 years’ experience, our 5-star burn injury lawyers have what it takes to stand up to the toughest opponents and win, both in and outside the courtroom. We also provide compassionate, client-focused counsel while tirelessly seeking the maximum recoveries available.
That’s how we’ve earned a reputation as leading burn injury attorneys in Louisiana and Texas. And it’s why you can count on us for exceptional advocacy when it’s time to recover and get justice.
For confidential advice about a potential case, just contact our burn injury lawyers. We are here for you, ready to help 24/7.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation 24/7.
Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers has recovered millions for burn injury victims and families who have lost loved ones to deadly fires, explosions, and other accidents. We are ready to make your recovery our next victory.
Click on a link below to jump directly to a section about burn injury causes, lawyers, cases, and/or compensation.
Whether caused by heat, chemicals, or electrical currents, burns can vary drastically in severity. Milder burns, or first-degree burns, are superficial, treatable injuries. From there, burns can get far more serious and painful, as the table below explains.
With burn injuries, it’s crucial to understand that:
- They are not only external: Inhaling caustic substances or smoke could cause serious or irreversible damage to the respiratory tract.
- They can come with serious risks: Burn victims are often far more vulnerable to infection, hypothermia, and other health complications.
- They can have deep emotional impacts: It’s common for those with burn injuries to experience depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and other psychological damage. That’s especially true when burn injuries cause facial scarring or visible deformities.
Too many Americans are suffering terrible, if not deadly, burn injuries every year. In fact, the latest facts and statistics on burn injuries provide a horrifying look at how common and devastating these injuries are (sources: CDC and the American Burn Association).
Burn Injuries & Deaths
- Every day in the U.S., more than 12 people die from burn injuries. That’s at least 86 people every week and roughly 4,500 burn injury deaths each year.
- There are about 50,000 hospitalizations each year to treat burn injury complications. At least half of these involve burns covering more than 25% of a patient’s body.
- Each year, about 1.1 million people seek medical attention to treat burn injuries.
- Each year, as many as 10,000 people die from burn-related infections.
Where & How Burn Injuries Happen
- About 73% of burn injuries occur at home.
- More than 8% of burn injuries happen at work.
- About 7% of all deadly burn injuries occur in vehicle explosions or fires. That works out to at least 300 deaths each year.
- About 5% of burn injuries occur in motor vehicle accidents.
Extinguish any flames immediately and call 911 if anyone has been moderately to severely burned. Signs of these burn injuries include:
- Charred (black) skin
- Damage that extends below the surface of the skin, revealing underlying tissues
- Burns on more than 3 inches of the face, hands, feet, or major joints
Whether burns are serious or not, the following are the next important steps to take. These can provide relief and/or prevent further injury:
- Move away from the heat or burn source.
- Take off tight or restrictive clothing immediately.
- Remove accessories, like rings or belts, which can also be restrictive to burned skin.
- If items have melted onto the skin, leave them. Do not try to remove or peel them away.
- Use a cold cloth to clean burn injuries.
- Cover burns while you wait for medical treatment.
- Whenever possible, elevate burn injuries above the heart level.
- Be alert to signs of shock, like fainting, rapid pulse, enlarged pupils, or breathing complications.
- Continue receiving all medical care that doctors prescribe for the burn injuries.
- Consult a burn injury attorney to determine if you have a claim and how to proceed.
Contact with heat, caustic substances, or electrical currents can cause burn injuries. And that contact can occur in various settings — and as a result of several different types of accidents or incidents. Generally, however, burn injuries are commonly caused by:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Dangerous products
- Work accidents
The following delves into each of these causes, revealing how negligence can be involved.
Burn Injuries from Motor Vehicle Accidents
Car wrecks, 18-wheeler crashes, motorcycle accidents, and other traffic collisions are leading causes of burn injuries. In many cases, horrific burns are the result of:
- Vehicle fires and explosions
- Scorching debris
- Airbag deployment
- Electrical shocks or live currents
- Exposures to harsh chemicals
- Road rash
The vast majority of motor vehicle crashes are caused by negligence and, specifically, human errors (source: NHTSA). As a result, many burn victims harmed in traffic wrecks can have legal options for holding the negligent parties liable for the serious harm they’ve caused.
Dangerous Products & Burn Injuries
Defective products are another leading cause of burn injuries. Whether these items are consumer goods, appliances, or heavy machinery, they can end up leaving people with severe burns when negligence like (but not limited to) the following is involved:
- Inherent product defects
- Failures to provide clear or adequate instructions for use
- Failures to provide safety warnings
- An absence of safety features
Whether it’s manufacturers or others who are to blame for these issues, they can be liable when their failures and oversights have contributed to unsafe products and burn injuries.
Burn Injuries Caused by Work Accidents
On-the-job burn injuries are especially common among some industries and professions. In fact, any occupation that puts workers in the vicinity of — or in direct contact with — fires, chemicals, or electricity can elevate the risk of job-related burn injuries.
In general, some of the occupations with the greatest risk of burn injuries include (and are not exclusive to):
- Construction workers
- Cooks and culinary workers
- Oil and gas workers
Depending on how burn injuries happen at work, injured workers could have multiple options for pursuing legal action and recovering compensation for their injuries.
An experienced bun injury attorney can help you with every aspect of a claim, playing an integral part in its success and outcome. That’s because a skilled lawyer will be effective at helping you:
- Pursue all available legal remedies
- Build the strongest possible case
- Position a claim for the best possible resolution
Beyond that, a lawyer can counsel and advise you at every step, providing critical information and insights, so you can make informed choices. Here’s how that can make a difference as a burn injury claim takes shape and moves forward.
Identifying who’s liable for an accident and burn injuries isn’t always easy. In fact, it often takes some careful investigations, thorough analysis of the evidence, time, and expertise. With a burn injury attorney in your corner, you can be confident that:
- Every liable party will be uncovered.
- You won’t be wrongly blamed for causing an accident or your burn injuries.
- You’ll be able to make each at-fault party pay for the harm they’ve inflicted on you.
Unfortunately, burn victims can face many challenges trying to get the justice and compensation they deserve. Often, those challenges come from insurance companies who:
- Have their own agenda and interests
- May work to reduce or deny claims routinely
- Are not above using unethical or even illegal tactics to try to avoid paying victims
A burn injury attorney can help you level the playing field, push back against insurance companies, and fight to ensure your claim is properly handled. That can be pivotal to a successful resolution.
No matter what type of accident or negligence caused your burn injuries, you can count on Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers for unparalleled representation. We know how to go up against any opponent and win. And we can start representing you today.
Damages arise from the financial losses, suffering, and pain that burn injury victims have sustained. Consequently, compensation for these claims varies, and it must be calculated on a case-by-case basis.
While an attorney at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can provide specific answers during an initial consultation, here are some general facts to keep mind when it comes to burn injury compensation and settlements:
- Compensation can cover past and future losses: This includes losses that are economic and non-economic in nature. As such, compensation calculations can be quite complex, especially in cases that involve more serious injuries.
- Victims may still be entitled to recoveries if they were partly at fault: As long as the victim is not primarily at fault for the incident or injuries, (s)he may still have the right to file a claim and seek compensation. That can be true for burn injury claims in Louisiana and Texas, as state laws (in both states) allow partially at-fault victims to seek reduced recoveries.
In general, damages for burn injury cases can include compensation for (but not limited to):
- Medical treatments and care
- Lost wages and earnings
- Lost ability to earn a living
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral expenses (for fatal burn injuries)
A 5-Star Burn Injury Lawyer Is Standing by, Ready to Help You 24/7
You don’t have unlimited time to bring negligent parties to justice. And time could be just one factor that’s working against you as you’re trying to recover from burn injuries.
The good news is that you can rely on the burn injury attorneys at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers for answers, advice, and strategic advocacy in the pursuit of justice. Backed by extraordinary experience and skill, we provide the personal service and fierce representation we would expect in your shoes — and we stop at nothing to achieve the best possible resolutions, no matter how simple or complex a claim may be.
That’s how we’ve earned a reputation as some of the best burn injury lawyers throughout Louisiana and Texas. And it’s why you trust us when you only have one chance to win a burn injury case.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation 24/7. Your path to justice can start with a call or an email.