Louisiana and Texas are not known for their harsh winters and the wear and tear they impose on a vehicle. The deep south will never be confused with Minnesota or Wisconsin, with deep snows, icy winds, and multiple months of below-freezing temperatures. The rarity of winter weather events creates the problem. Unlike the northern states, southerners do not prepare and take the necessary steps to keep vehicles operating safely during inclement weather.
Most people know that it's important to get a vehicle regularly serviced to keep it running smoothly. However, many drivers put off getting their car serviced until it's too late, and they're faced with an expensive repair bill. In the south, winter storms are unpredictable, so it is doubly important to be prepared. This blog will discuss the importance of getting your car serviced before the winter weather hits. We'll also discuss which services would be most beneficial at this time of year.
The Importance of Winter Vehicle Maintenance in Louisiana and Texas
Louisiana and Texas winters can materialize with little warning, bringing freezing temperatures and icy conditions. These can take a toll on your car, and if it's not properly serviced, you could find yourself stranded on the side of the road, freezing. You may also put yourself at risk of mechanical failure due to this lack of maintenance. Improper or delayed servicing can increase your chances of being involved in certain crashes or accidents. Winter weather increases the chances of failure or potential injury.
Which Services Are Most Beneficial During Winter?
There are a few key services that are especially important to have done before winter.
- First, it's a good idea to get your battery tested. Cold weather can cause car batteries to lose their charge more quickly, so it's essential to make sure yours is in good condition.
- You should also have your antifreeze levels checked and topped off if necessary. This will help keep your engine from freezing up in cold weather.
- It is recommended to change your oil before the advent of cold weather. Cold starts can cause damage to engines, and fresh, unsoiled oil is the best way to mitigate this damage.
- Make sure and have a roadside kit with reflectors, safety vests, and flashlights. Cold weather with sleet, snow, and overcast conditions may decrease visibility for any driver stranded on the shoulder.
- You may want to store thermal blankets just in case. It is always better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.
- Lastly, it's a good idea to have your tires inspected and, if necessary, replaced. Winter weather can be tough on tires, so it's crucial to ensure they're in good condition before the cold sets in.
Louisiana Car Accident Attorneys
Stay safe, keep warm, and enjoy the winter season. Don't wait until the last minute to get your car serviced. By getting it done now, you can avoid the hassle of dealing with car problems in the middle of winter. And more significantly, you can keep yourself safe on the road by reducing the likelihood of crashes caused by mechanical issues.
The team at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers is dedicated to helping those who have been injured by another’s negligence. If you need legal assistance following a car accident, call (888) 492-5532 to discuss your potential options.