CLE Taught by Attorneys John Davis & Josh Powell Shares Key Insights, Fundamentals & Strategies for UM/UIM Cases
The October 2021 CLE, Still Available Online, Focuses on Simplifying Complex UM/UIM Claims
John Davis and Josh Powell of Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers recently presented key parts of a continuing legal education (CLE) course, entitled “Louisiana Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Law — Made Simple.”
Administered on October 19, 2021, this CLE examined different case scenarios for uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) claims. The 6-hour course walked lawyers through the ins and outs of these thorny cases, unpacking clear-cut techniques, effective strategies, and practical approaches for representing clients in UM/UIM claims.
CLE Agenda: UI & UIM Legal Fundamentals & Ethics
Broken down into six segments, this UM/UIM CLE course covered a lot of ground to give lawyers real-world insights, scenarios, and tips for navigating these complicated suits with confidence. The agenda for this CLE covered:
- Louisiana UM/UIM Insurance Law Fundamentals
- Clarifying UM/UIM Coverage — Carrier Obligations Made Simple
- Is the Motorist Underinsured? Easy Ways to Calculate Limits and Damages
- Medical Discovery Basics for UM/UIM Cases
- UN/UNDER-insured Motorist Case Mechanics — Real Life Case Scenarios
- Ethics in UM/UIM Cases
Attorneys John Davis and Josh Powell taught the first and last segments of this CLE, “Louisiana UM/UIM Insurance Law Fundamentals” and “Ethics in UM/UIM Cases.”
CLE Course Details
Through this continuing legal education, Attorneys John Davis and Josh Powell, along with the other course instructors, took attendees through various deep dives, providing critical analysis and astute commentary on several key areas of these claims, including:
- State-specific uninsured/underinsured motorist laws, as well as trends and court rulings in UM/UIM cases
- Discovery strategies for medical records, physician depositions, and damage calculations
- Medical records analyses and medical expert skills that are unique to UM/UIM cases
- UM/UIM policy exclusions and negotiating with insurance companies
- Bad faith considerations in UM/UIM cases
- The nuts and bolts of sample letters, forms, and documents relative to uninsured and underinsured cases
- Compensation calculations and damage limits for underinsured motorist cases
More specifically, several critical elements, like (but not limited to) the following, were examined and discussed in detail:
- Legislative updates
- Statute of limitations
- Court filing procedures and deadlines
- Choice of law and venue
- Conflicts of interests
- Bad faith considerations
- Claim valuations
- Informed consent
You can still access the CLE course material here (6.00 LA CLE credits, including 1.00 Ethics credit).
About Josh L. Powell
Josh L. Powell is a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association (LSBA) and the Shreveport Bar Association (SBA). With a background in the oil and gas industry and deep experience as a trial lawyer, Josh L. Powell represents families and individuals in all types of personal injury cases.
About John A. Davis
John A. Davis, also a member of the LSBA, concentrates on legal writing for Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers. He drafts briefs to state, appellate, and district courts, with occasional briefs to the Louisiana Supreme Court.
At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, we are committed to sharing our knowledge, skills, and experience to improve the legal profession and enhance the quality of representation fellow lawyers can provide in complex injury and accident claims. We are proud to give back to our community and profession, and we will continue to take part in continuing legal education, as well as other presentations and outreach, in the future.