Marshall Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Injured Riders Know to Call Us
As a motorcyclist who has been in a bad accident, you might be surprised to find that you are being blamed for it automatically. Insurance companies like to pin the blame on riders by saying that they are “naturally” reckless, even when the evidence shows otherwise. To get the compensation you need to recover, you might have to fight for it.
Come to Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers in Marshall, Texas for legal counsel after a motorcycle accident. Our attorneys have more than 20 years of legal experience. We can take difficult cases against strong oppositions like major insurance companies. While we fight for you, we want you to focus on your rest and other important aspects of your life.
Call (888) 492-5532 now. We accept calls 24/7.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Texas
Motorcycle accidents happen for a variety of reasons. Insurance companies try to pretend like all of those reasons are caused by the rider’s negligence. Investigating your accident could show otherwise, though. We know how to look for evidence that proves that the cause of the crash was not your fault.
Motorcycle accidents in Texas are often caused by:
- Speeding: Reckless drivers who speed put everyone in serious danger, especially motorcyclists who do not have much protection beyond a helmet.
- Drunk driving: Drunk drivers are more likely to change lanes without warning or looking, which can cause them to sideswipe a motorcyclist in their blind spot.
- Distracted driving: Distracted drivers can be just as dangerous as drunk drivers when considering unpredictability and poor reaction times.
- Part defects: If a part of your motorcycle gave out while you were riding it, then it might be the sole cause of your crash, especially if no other vehicles were involved.
- Road damage: Damage to the road like a pothole can cause a motorcyclist to lose control and get into a violent accident.
Five Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident
If you have been in a motorcycle accident, there are a few steps that you should try to take while still at the scene of the accident. Our attorneys can investigate later, too, if it would be unsafe to complete all of those steps. But that makes calling us as soon as possible even more important.
Five steps to take after a motorcycle accident include:
- Call for help: Call 911 after a motorcycle accident that causes a serious injury or vehicular damage. Our attorneys can use the reports from the first responders when building your case.
- Collect evidence and information: Use your smartphone to photograph the crash. Get contact and insurance information from the other driver. Write down the contact information of eyewitnesses.
- See a doctor: If you are not taken to the emergency room, you should still go to the doctor’s office or urgent care the same day. Notes from your doctor can benefit your case significantly.
- Report the accident: Your motorcycle insurance company might require you to report a crash within hours of it occurring. Notify your insurance company, but do not feel compelled to provide too many details right away.
- Speak with a lawyer: As soon as you have a moment, call (888) 492-5532 to connect with our Marshall motorcycle accident lawyers.
Partial Fault for Motorcycle Accident Claims
Texas uses a modified comparative negligence rule when deciding fault and who can file a claim after a motorcycle accident. Under this rule, you lose the right to get compensation from another party if you were 51% liable or greater. For this reason, it is critical that you work with a legal team that knows how to keep your liability low with convincing evidence and arguments.
Also, the amount of compensation you can recover will be reduced by whatever percentage of liability you are ultimately given. For example, if you are 20% liable for the motorcycle accident, and you need $100,000 in compensation, then the maximum amount you can expect would be $80,000.
Texas Motorcycle Accident Statute of Limitations
You have just two years to file an injury claim after being in a motorcycle accident in Texas. The two-year statute of limitations begins on the date of the crash. While dealing with the complications caused by a crash, time can fly by quickly. Do not lose your right to seek compensation by missing this important deadline.
What Our Attorneys Can Do for You
Working on a motorcycle accident case can feel demanding, especially if you are also trying to recover from serious injuries. By coming to Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, you can leave all parts of your case up to our highly experienced team of attorneys. We are here to make sure that your case progresses correctly, and we will treat your case as if we were representing ourselves.
When working on your case, we can do the following and more:
- Research and investigate the circumstances of your motorcycle accident.
- Determine fault or liability for your losses.
- Collecting and using evidence to prove that you are not liable.
- Calculating the damages owed to you by the at-fault party.
- Sending a demand letter for compensation.
- Filing a claim in court if necessary.
- Negotiating to reach a fair settlement if possible.
- Litigating in court if a settlement is not reached – we are trial attorneys.
Explore Your Legal Options Today
If you need to demand compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and other losses, trust our Marshall motorcycle accident attorneys to handle it. We can discuss all of your options for starting a claim and pursuing compensation. For any questions you might have, we are certain to have the answers.
Learn more about motorcycle accident claims. Request a free consultation today.