Longview Big Truck Accident Attorney
Some of the worst accidents that occur in the U.S. involve 18-wheelers. Given the sheer size of these vehicles, big rig accidents may lead to catastrophic injuries and even death. Regrettably, many of the truck accidents that occur in Texas are avoidable.
If you or your loved one has sustained injuries in a truck accident, consider reaching out to the Longview commercial vehicle accident attorneys at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers.
Our legal team has over two decades of experience dealing with truck accident claims. We have the skills and resources needed to help you with your case. If you have any questions regarding your case, we are ready to help. Contact us today to book your free, confidential case review.
Click on the links below to head to any section.
- How Does Negligence Cause 18-Wheeler Accidents?
- Truck Accident Statistics
- Eight Steps To Take After a Tractor-trailer Accident
- When Should I Talk to a Truck Accident Lawyer?
- How Much Is My Truck Accident Case Worth?
How Does Negligence Cause 18-Wheeler Accidents?
Oversight failures, careless actions, and performance errors are some of the reasons why truck accidents happen in Longview, TX. Various parties, including drivers, vehicle manufacturers, and trucking companies, can be held liable if their negligence leads to accidents.
Actions like speeding, distracted driving, alcohol and drug use, and performance errors can cause Longview truck accidents. In most cases, the errors of passenger vehicle drivers lead to these crashes.
When proving negligence in a truck collision, your Longview commercial vehicle accident attorney may gather and analyze evidence that includes:
- Police reports
- Photographs and videos from the scene of the crash
- Eyewitness statements
- Medical records
- Debris from the accident scene
- Driver and vehicle records
Motor Carrier Negligence
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is the federal agency in charge of regulating the trucking industry. Still, there are state laws that govern how trucking companies operate in Texas.
Various omissions and failures by trucking companies may amount to negligence, including:
- Enforcing hours of service for drivers
- Training drivers
- Maintaining their trucks
- Screening drivers during employment
- Abiding by state and federal cargo laws
Vehicle defects, such as problems with brakes, the engine, and the transmission, may cause truck accidents. In such cases, the truck manufacturer may be held liable for the crash.
Other Forms of Negligence
Drivers share most of the blame when it comes to commercial vehicle accidents. However, there are other forms of negligence that can lead to catastrophic big rig accidents. They include:
- Dangerous road conditions
- Adverse weather conditions
- Loose and unstable cargo
An experienced Longview commercial vehicle accident lawyer can conduct comprehensive investigations into your case to determine what type of negligence led to your accident.
Truck Accident Statistics
According to the FMCSA, 5,237 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal accidents in 2019, representing a 2% increase since 2018. Here is a summary of truck accident statistics across the nation.
- The number of injury crashes involving large trucks rose from 112,000 to 119,000 between 2018 and 2019.
- Large trucks involved in property damage crashes numbered 414,000.
- There were approximately 510,000 police-reported truck crashes.
- About 57% of truck wrecks occurred in rural areas, while 25% happened on Interstate highways.
- Roughly 36% of all fatal crashes happen from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m., with 83% of these crashes happening on weekdays.
- The first harmful event in fatal crashes was the overturning of vehicles.
Eight Steps To Take After a Tractor-trailer Accident
After a tractor-trailer accident, it's crucial to call 911 if you sustain injuries. You should also contact emergency responders if the accident blocks traffic in Longview, if the other driver is intoxicated, or if it is a hi—and-run accident.
Here's what the lawyers at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers recommend after a truck wreck.
- Seek medical attention immediately or after leaving the scene.
- Take note of the names and contact details of all involved parties and eyewitnesses.
- Use your phone or camera to take videos and photographs of the accident scene.
- Don't admit fault or apologize to other parties at the scene.
- Carry on with medical treatment for your injuries.
- Contact your insurance provider to notify them about the crash. Don't delay more than two days to report the accident.
- Keep a record of everything crash-related, like letters from your insurer and employer as well as medical bills.
- Get in touch with Longview commercial vehicle accident attorneys from Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers for legal guidance.
When Should I Talk to a Truck Accident Lawyer?
It's advisable to contact a lawyer immediately after your crash. The sooner you get legal help, the better.
Remember, there is a two-year time limit to file personal injury claims in Texas. The longer you delay, the harder it gets to resolve your truck accident claim. Evidence collection becomes more challenging. Eyewitnesses also tend to forget what happened as time passes by.
Reaching out to a lawyer immediately after your crash is the best way to protect your legal rights. Here's what you need to remember after your accident:
- Your lawyer can help you gather facts about your crash and build a more persuasive case.
- Insurance firms, motor carriers, and other parties may be investigating the case to limit or deny your claim.
- You can get legal advice from an attorney for free. You will only pay for the legal services of Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers after we secure compensation for your claim.
How Much Is My Truck Accident Case Worth?
Injuries and damages are the main factors that lawyers, insurance companies, judges, and juries consider when determining how much a claim is worth. Past, present, and future losses, as well as compensatory damages, both economic and non-economic in nature, affect how much you can receive.
A settlement from a truck accident claim may cover:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost income
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Burial expenses
- Reputational damage
Schedule Your Free, Confidential Consultation With Reputable Longview Big Truck Accident Lawyers
Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers operates on a contingency fee basis. This means that you don't have to pay any fees to discuss your legal options. Reaching out to a lawyer for advice ensures you don't jeopardize your truck accident claim.
If you have any questions regarding your case, contact Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers today. Our legal team is ready to assist you in the pursuit of justice. We can help you recover maximum compensation for your claim. Book your free case evaluation today to get started.