Longview Pedestrian Injury Attorney
Pedestrian accidents are often caused by negligent actions. If you have been the victim of a pedestrian accident, you can turn to an experienced Longview pedestrian injury attorney at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers to help you recover fair compensation.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Longview, Texas
Most pedestrian accidents in Longview, TX, are caused by negligent parties. That negligence can fall into the following categories:
When negligent motorists are the cause of pedestrian accidents, it can be because the drivers:
- Are impaired — this can include fatigue, distraction, and intoxication
- Violate traffic laws — drivers may make unexpected turns or run red lights leading to a pedestrian collision
A Longview pedestrian injury attorney at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can help you determine your legal rights and options. They can advise you on whether driver negligence was involved in your pedestrian accident.
Pedestrians' negligent actions can also be the cause of an accident. Even if you made a mistake and are partly to blame for your pedestrian accident, you may still be eligible for compensation if the other party is more at-fault for the accident.
It's important to understand that fault determinations made by people like the police or insurance companies aren't always correct. Sometimes, pedestrians are wrongly blamed for accidents. This is why it is best to work with a Longview pedestrian injury attorney who can help you verify fault determinations.
Sometimes, it is the vehicle manufacturer who is liable for pedestrian accidents. From brake failures to tire blowouts, vehicle problems can cause the drivers to lose control and hit pedestrians.
Negligence may come in the form of a defective vehicle or a failure to maintain the vehicle. It's even possible for multiple manufacturers and companies to be held liable for the pedestrian accident.
Poor road design can also contribute to pedestrian accidents. Poorly designed roads or missing roadway safety features may put pedestrians at a higher risk of traffic accidents. Examples of issues that may contribute to pedestrian accidents include:
- No crosswalks or sidewalks
- Missing or broken traffic signals
- Poorly set-up highway work zones
- Poorly placed intersections or signs
- Blind, sharp turns
- Insufficient roadway lighting
Government entities like cities and counties can be held responsible for pedestrians caused by poor road conditions.
Steps to Take After a Pedestrian Accident in Longview
If you have been the victim of a pedestrian accident, you should do the following to protect yourself:
- Call 911 right away. If someone is injured, call the police immediately.
- See a doctor immediately. After the police arrive, get a ride to seek medical attention. The earlier you do this, the better your legal options will be. It also allows a doctor to treat potentially serious medical issues faster.
- Collect evidence. Be sure to get the names and contact details of the other involved parties and any witnesses to the accident. Take pictures and videos of the accident scene, your injuries, the people present, and any vehicle damage.
- Watch your words. Never admit guilt, apologize, or guess facts about the accident. If you must talk about what happened, only mention the facts you have complete confidence in. Ideally, don't discuss any details until you have spoken with your lawyer.
- Talk to a Longview pedestrian injury attorney at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers to better understand your legal options and rights.
How Can I File a Pedestrian Accident Case?
The best way to find out if you have a valid case is to talk with an expert pedestrian injury attorney in Longview, TX. Your attorney will be able to assess the strength of your case and outline your various options. An attorney skilled in pedestrian accidents must examine several situational factors to assess your case properly, including:
- The statute of limitations
- The available evidence
- Liable parties
- Injuries and losses caused by your pedestrian accident
Discussing these factors with a skilled Longview pedestrian injury attorney is the best way to determine whether you have a case worth fighting.
Do I Need a Longview Pedestrian Injury Attorney?
You may need a pedestrian injury attorney if you live in Longview, TX and you've been involved in a pedestrian accident or you're ready to find out more about your legal options and rights.
Just because you have a valid pedestrian injury case doesn't mean obtaining compensation will be an easy road.
The process is often complex. Without an experienced attorney, it's more likely that:
- You miss critical case deadlines
- Key evidence is lost forever
- You are wrongly accused of causing the accident or other injuries
- You lose out on some or all of your rightful compensation
A skillful attorney can help you prevent these pitfalls by building a more persuasive case for you and being familiar with the requirements of pedestrian injury cases in general.
What Compensation Is Available for Pedestrian Injury Victims in Longview?
Pedestrian accident survivors may be entitled to compensation for their economic and non-economic damages. The eligible damages vary from case to case, as they are highly dependent on the details of your specific experience. Complex calculations that are best analyzed by expert pedestrian injury attorneys may be required.
Pedestrian injury claims in Longview, TX, can cover the following economic damages:
- Medical bills
- Lost future earnings
- Lost past earnings
- Property damage
- Funeral expenses (in the event of a deadly pedestrian accident)
Pedestrian injury claims in Longview, TX, can cover the following non-economic damages:
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, we help accident victims and their families recover maximum compensation so they can focus on healing, rebuilding their lives, and moving forward.
An Experienced Longview Pedestrian Injury Attorney Is Ready to Help You Today
If you have been hurt in a pedestrian accident, you need an expert Longview pedestrian injury attorney on your team. Time and insurance companies are not on your side. An experienced Longview pedestrian accident attorney at Morris & Dewett can help you recover the damages you deserve.
Our team is highly skilled, tireless, and resourceful. We are proud to offer exceptional legal representation to Longview's pedestrian victims of roadway negligence. Contact our team today — you don't have to fight for justice alone.