Longview Spine Injury Lawyer
A spine injury can change your life forever. Spinal cord injuries are debilitating and often profoundly traumatic. When a spine injury results from reckless or negligent actions, a spine jury claim may be your best path to recovery and holding the offending parties accountable for their actions.
At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, our 5-star Longview spine injury lawyers have extensive experience bringing these negligent parties to justice.
What Is a Spine Injury?
You may suffer from a spine injury, or spinal cord injury (SCI), after damage, illness, trauma, or degeneration affects your spinal cord. Spine injuries can be:
- Complete — Complete SCIs involve the complete severing of the spine.
- Incomplete — Incomplete SCIs consist of an intact spine with tears or compression causing the damage.
- Anywhere along the spine — Spine injuries can affect different body areas, depending on where the spine is injured.
Some types of spine injuries include:
- Paraplegia, which affects the legs and lower body
- Triplegia, which affects one arm and the lower body
- Tetraplegia or Quadriplegia, which affects the upper and lower body, both arms and legs, and possibly the neck, shoulders, and head
Top Traumatic Causes of Spine Injuries
Spine injuries can occur in various ways, but negligence is often a factor when the SCI is caused by trauma to the spine. The top two causes of traumatic spine injuries are motor vehicle accidents and falling accidents.
SCI & Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents are the top cause of traumatic SCIs. They include:
- Car accidents
- Bus Crashes
- 18-wheeler wrecks
- Motorcycle accidents
SCIs occur during motor vehicle accidents when people are:
- Thrown from their vehicles
- Run over by vehicles
- Injured from the force of the impact
SCI & Falling Accidents
Falling accidents are another way that spine injuries are obtained. You don't need to fall from an elevated area to suffer from a spine injury. Even a same-level fall may result in an SCI, especially when you slip or trip. This is even more true when the victim is elderly.
Falling accidents can happen at work or home. They can occur in any unsafe location in Longview, from commercial to private or public locations. Falls with SCIs can also happen in conjunction with dangerous products or malfunctioning equipment.
Other Causes of Spine Injuries
Of course, spine injuries can occur from more events than just motor vehicle accidents and falls. Other examples of events that may result in a spine injury include:
- Sporting accidents
- Medical negligence
No matter how you suffered your spine injury, it's essential that you reach out to a specialized spine injury lawyer to discuss your rights and legal options. An attorney at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can uncover negligence related to your SCI.
Are You Eligible To Start A Lawsuit After a Spine Injury?
You may be able to sue after your spine injury if:
- Negligence contributed to your injuries. Depending on your claim, you may need to prove that the other party was more liable than you for causing your SCI.
- The statute of limitations has not run out. This is the deadline you have to file your case. It generally begins running from the moment of your injury. In Longview, Texas, the statute of limitations is two years from the accident date.
This is the absolute minimum you need to file a spine injury claim. Other things you should consider include:
- Your evidence. Depending on the existing evidence, you may or may not be able to establish the fault and damage needed to win your case and receive compensation from the liable party. Sometimes, evidence can be difficult to obtain or inconclusive. An experienced Longview spine injury lawyer can advise you on your best legal options.
- What kind of case you hold. Depending on the specific details of your case, you may hold more than a single claim. If so, the various claims may require different procedures. They may also be held to different deadlines.
The expert legal team at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can help verify the quality of your evidence and the number of claims you are eligible to file. We can assess the strength of your claim and get you started with the legal process.
Do I Need a Longview, TX Spine Injury Lawyer?
You may need a Longview spine injury lawyer if you reside in Longview, Texas, and:
- You are suffering from a spine injury caused by someone else's negligence.
- A loved one is suffering from a spine injury caused by someone else's negligence.
- You need answers about your legal options and rights.
- An insurance company is contacting you after an accident where an SCI occurred or is suspected.
It is always advisable to consult with an attorney who has managed spine injury cases. An experienced lawyer can help you protect your rights from the very beginning and guide you along the smoothest path to receiving just compensation.
Compensation for Spine Injuries
If you have suffered a spine injury in Longview, TX, your financial recoveries will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Damages vary depending on the severity of your injuries, and courts will take that into account. Damages for SCI cases in Longview typically cover past and future losses. These damages can be economic or non-economic.
Examples of economic damages include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost future wages
- Property damages
Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
More serious spine injuries generally receive more substantial compensation. We understand that these awards may be crucial to helping you and your family heal and move forward.
A 5-Star Longview Spine Injury Lawyer is Standing by, Ready to Help 24/7
You don't have unlimited time to file your spine injury legal claim. The clock started running on the date of your accident. It's essential to act promptly.
You can count on Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers for high-quality advocacy in pursuing justice. Our legal team comprises some of the top strategic, relentless, and aggressive legal experts in the field. We are adept at winning the most challenging cases, and we excel at securing the maximum recoveries. No matter how complex your case may be, we can provide top-quality representation when it matters most.
Consult with one of our expert spine injury lawyers and get free answers to your legal questions. With decades of experience, we know how to secure the best outcomes in spine injury cases in Longview, Texas. Contact us today.