Longview Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Any injury can have far-ranging effects on your life. Injuries can mean days or weeks away from work, time in the hospital or in bed recovering, and worry over medical bills and lost pay. A catastrophic injury is life-altering. You may be permanently disabled and unable to work again. It could mean the loss of your home and your entire way of life.
When a catastrophic injury is caused by another person’s careless or negligent behavior, you should be compensated for the harm caused by their acts. If you live in Longview, or anywhere in the east Dallas area, Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers are here to help you get that compensation. We know that you need help getting the resolution you deserve for your pain and suffering. We are here to fight for you. Call 888-492-5532 for a free and confidential consultation.
What Is a Catastrophic Injury?
A catastrophic injury is one that is recognized as life-altering, one which will take months or years for recovery. A catastrophic injury will require the victim to change their entire way of life to accommodate the injury, and may lead to difficulties in thinking, moving, and carrying out daily life activities.
Catastrophic injuries usually don’t heal in a few days or weeks. These are injuries that need extensive medical treatment, such as repeated surgeries or physical therapy. They will have an impact on your entire life.
There is no “typical” catastrophic injury, but examples include:
- Spinal cord injuries resulting in paraplegia or quadriplegia
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Long-bone fractures of the arms and legs
- Limb amputations
- Multiple-organ damage
- Loss of eyes, ears, or other sensory organs
Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
The devastating nature of catastrophic injuries means these happen as a result of serious accidents. A traumatic brain injury (TBI) could happen as a result of a simple fall, but it is more likely to be the result of a high-speed motor vehicle accident or industrial accident.
The human body is resilient, but it is also fragile, and not meant to be driven at high speeds into concrete walls. The most common causes of catastrophic injuries are those that place people into unforgiving situations where carelessness has an immediate and dangerous or deadly outcome.
Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers are here to help you recover compensation if you are seriously injured due to another person’s carelessness or negligence. When negligence causes a catastrophic injury, the person or entity responsible should be liable not only for the immediate injury, but for the lifetime of cost and care needed for recovery.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Even if you are obeying all the rules of the road, wearing your seatbelt, and not impaired, you can do nothing about other drivers on the highway. Texas depends on its roads for business and pleasure. Other cars, big rigs, motorcycles, and poorly maintained roadways can cause injury, disability, and death. The most common causes of road accidents are:
- Driving while drunk or impaired
- Distracted driving (texting, eating, applying makeup)
- Failing to obey traffic laws
Vehicle accidents can result in head trauma, broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and burns from gasoline fires.
According to OSHA, four incidents are the most frequently involved in fatalities on the job each year. These “fatal four” are:
- Falls from heights, usually in construction and roofing
- “Struck-by” incidents, often in automated plants where machines can start up unexpectedly
- Entrapments, common in the fishing industry where multiple pieces of equipment are moving in different directions
Although the oil and gas industries, logging, fishing, and heavy construction industries are the leaders in work-related accidents, any job site is a possible location for a catastrophic injury if workers are careless about safety. Oil and gas are a major part of Texas economy, and Longview is no exception.
Construction, roofing, fishing, and the oil and gas industry tend to report far more work accidents, injuries, and deaths than others. No matter where they happen, however, work accidents can cause horrific injuries that may render workers unable to earn a living ever again. If you need a personal injury attorney in Longview, reach out to the experts at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers.
When to Consult a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
It is never too soon to contact a Longview personal injury lawyer. You should consider contacting an attorney as soon as you are injured. There are benefits to discussing your case with a legal professional right away, including the following.
- Your time to file is limited. In Texas, you have only two years from the date of injury to file a personal injury claim; in Louisiana, you have only one. These deadlines are inflexible, and there are only a few exceptions. Don’t wait till the last minute.
- Investigation takes time and experience. Your attorney will know how to review witness statements and reports to determine liability in your case. There could be multiple parties at fault, or multiple options for a lawsuit, such as in a workplace injury case where there is a choice between workers’ compensation and a third party.
- You must file an insurance claim before your case can proceed. In most cases, your insurance claim must have been denied before you can file a lawsuit. In some cases, you must file other paperwork, called a Notice of Intent to Sue before a lawsuit can proceed.
- Insurance claims are legal documents. Your insurance company is as much of an adversary as the other party. They are seeking ways to minimize the amount they must pay you. Your attorney can make sure you give them all the bills and documentation you need to prove the severity of your injury.
- The initial consultation is free. At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, we won’t charge you for the consultation. If you hire us to represent you, there are no fees until we get a recovery on your claim
Get in Touch With An Experienced Longview Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Recovering from a catastrophic injury takes time and the right skill set. You should never try to do it alone. You need the legal skills of a catastrophic injury attorney at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers. We will protect your rights and fight for you in court and in negotiations. You have enough to worry about — let us take care of the legal matters.
If you need a Longview catastrophic injury lawyer, Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can help. Call us today at 888-492-5532 for your free, confidential consultation. We are here for all your questions and concerns and will give you a compassionate ear and in-depth advocacy. Contact us today.