Covington Truck Accident Lawyer
Trial-Tested 18-Wheeler Accident Attorneys Ready to Fight for You & Win
Big rigs are involved in some of the most damaging and deadly wrecks in Covington, LA, and across the U.S. When you’re in one of these crashes, the answers and advocacy you get can play a major role in your recovery.
To get exceptional counsel and representation after a tractor-trailer crash, make sure you have Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers in your corner. Our 5-star Covington truck accident lawyers are backed by two decades of experience winning full, fair compensation in the toughest 18-wheeler accident cases.
Strategic, tireless, and compassionate, we know how to go up against the most challenging opponents, and we are known for providing effective representation when it matters most. Our Covington attorneys handle several types of big rig accident cases, and we’re ready to start helping you 24/7.
We have recovered millions for truck accident survivors and families who have lost loved ones to fatal big rig accidents. We are ready to make your claim and recovery our next victory.
Click on a link below to jump directly to a section and learn more about truck accident causes, lawyers, cases, and compensation.
What Are the Leading Causes of Truck Accidents?
Most 18-wheeler accidents are caused by avoidable errors, failures, oversights, and other negligence. In fact, with tractor-trailer wrecks, it’s not uncommon for several forms of negligence — from driver errors and mechanical failures to violations of federal trucking regulations — to be involved in a single crash.
Driver Negligence & Truck Accidents
Driver errors and impairment behind the wheel are a factor in about 1 in every 3 truck wrecks involving an 18-wheeler and a passenger vehicle. Speeding, distraction, and impairment are the leading trucker errors that contribute to big rig accidents.
Trucking Company Negligence & Tractor-Trailer Crashes
Motor carriers are responsible for putting safe drivers and vehicles on the roads. They are also required to comply with federal trucking regulations. When they fail to do those things — or when their policies or scheduling results in risky driving, dangerous vehicles, and wrecks — trucking companies can be at least partly at fault for those tractor-trailer accidents.
With motor carrier negligence and 18-wheeler accidents, it’s important to note that:
- About 13,000 truck crashes a year (9%) involve truckers who say they were under some type of work-related pressure at the time of the accident.
- About 5,000 wrecks a year (3%) involve truckers who say they felt pressured to drive even though they were fatigued.
- Uncovering motor carrier negligence usually demands deeper investigations into records, policy documents, and a lot more.
18-Wheeler Wrecks Caused by Faulty Equipment
When big rigs experience mechanical failures, drivers may lose control of the truck, resulting in wrecks. Every year in the U.S., about 6% of all fatal 18-wheeler accidents are caused by defective and malfunctioning vehicle equipment. In fact:
- Faulty equipment causes about twice as many truck crashes as car accidents.
- Tires and brakes are the most common types of trucking equipment to fail and end up causing deadly big rig wrecks.
Equipment failures, like motor carrier negligence, are not always obvious factors that leave behind clear evidence at the scene of a crash. Additionally, with faulty equipment, various parties may be liable, including (but not limited to) the:
- Manufacturers who make and distribute trucking equipment that is innately dangerous or faulty
- Motor carriers who fail to properly maintain their 18-wheelers
- Truck drivers who fail to properly inspect and/or maintain the big rigs they’re responsible for
- Technicians who fail to properly fix or maintain trucking equipment.
Cargo Problems & Truck Accidents
Shifting cargo on trucks causes about 4% of all 18-wheeler accidents a year. Cargo securement failures are involved in about 3% of these wrecks. That may not sound like a lot, but it all adds up to a total of about 10,000 tractor-trailer wrecks each year.
One of the reasons that unsecure and shifting cargo is so dangerous is that it can destabilize 18-wheelers, increasing the risks of jackknife and rollover truck wrecks. Cargo problems can also lead to other serious disasters, like the spillage of hazardous materials. More than 50% of all hazardous materials spills caused by truck accidents involve the release of volatile or flammable materials.
Loading dock workers, truck drivers, motor carriers, and/or others can be liable for tractor-trailer accidents caused by cargo issues.
Other Truck Accident Causes: Weather, Road & Traffic Conditions
Weather is a factor in more than 14% of the big rig crashes that happen each year on America’s roads. More than 1 in 4 of these crashes happen during cloudy, foggy, raining, or hailing conditions. While adverse weather can be dangerous by itself, it can also leave behind unsafe road conditions. In fact, nearly 16% of all deadly truck accidents a year occur on wet, icy, or snowy roads.
Beyond weather, traffic conditions can also make the roads dangerous:
- About 28% of 18-wheeler accidents occur when there’s congestion or right after a previous crash.
- At least one tractor-trailer is involved in about 30 of all fatal work zone crashes. For injury-only work zone wrecks, at least one big rig is involved about 10% of the time.
- Various parties can be liable for unsafe roads, depending on the specific factors involved in a crash.
Covington & Louisiana Truck Accident Statistics
The latest truck accident statistics for Covington and Louisiana show how often these wrecks are happening — and how devastating they can truly be (source: LSU):
- About 10% of all fatal crashes in Louisiana involve at least one large truck.
- Nearly 38% of those who died in deadly big rig accidents in Louisiana were people in passenger vehicles, vans, or SUVs. Only about 3% were those in the truck.
- More than 1 in 3 fatal truck accidents in Louisiana take place on an interstate highway.
- In Covington and St. Tammany, deadly truck accidents have decreased by about 33% since 2015. Still, there has been an average of 4 fatal big rig crashes in this area every year since 2015.
- Injury-only truck accidents in Covington and St. Tammany have increased by 8% since 2015.
Of course, just one of these wrecks can be life-shattering. If you or a loved one has been in a tractor-trailer crash, you can rely on a Covington truck accident lawyer at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers for tireless advocacy and experienced counsel in the pursuit of justice.
What Should I Do After an 18-Wheeler Accident in Covington, LA?
Call 911 and get medical attention ASAP if you have been moderately or seriously hurt. Then, wait at the scene for help and, if at all possible, try to do the following, as long as it won’t put at risk of further injury:
- Exchange information with the other drivers.
- Take pictures and video of the damaged truck, as well as any other involved vehicles, damaged road features, debris on the road, people at the scene — every detail you can capture related to the crash.
- Only state facts you know — never admit fault or say sorry — when talking to other parties or witnesses at the scene, police, and your insurance company.
- See a doctor after the accident if you didn’t get medical attention at the scene. Keep seeking medical care for as long as needed to treat your truck accident injuries.
- Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as reasonably possible and without unnecessary delays.
- Get answers about your legal rights and options by talking to a Covington truck accident lawyer at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers.
When Do I Need a Covington Truck Accident Lawyer?
ASAP. A Covington 18-wheeler accident lawyer can explain liability, how to get your case started, and how to protect your rights as you proceed. From there, your attorney can get to work building you a strong, persuasive case by doing things like:
- Carrying out deeper investigations to strengthen your case
- Identifying, gathering, and preserving the important evidence for your case
- Seamlessly handling court filings, case deadlines, and other complicated administrative details essential to advancing your case
- Strategically communicating and negotiating with insurance companies, protecting your rights and interests at every interaction
- Helping you determine when tractor-trailer accident settlement offers are fair or when it may be necessary to consider the next steps
The alternative can mean going at it alone and trying to navigate a complex process while dealing with the injuries and impacts of a wreck.
Instead, let a Covington truck accident lawyer from Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers fight for you and give you confidence that your claim is on track for success. Our fierce and experienced legal team will do everything possible to achieve the best possible resolution to your 18-wheeler accident claim.
How Much Are Truck Accident Settlements & Compensation?
The value of a truck accident case depends on the injuries, damage, pain, and suffering caused by a particular accident. It also depends on what you can prove after the accident, especially with regards to:
- The nature, types, and severity of your injuries
- The negligence that caused the big rig wreck and liability for it
- The psychological and financial impacts a crash has had on you
Successful truck accident cases tend to include damages for losses like (but not limited to):
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Lost wages, benefits, and bonuses (past & future)
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral expenses (after deadly crashes)
- Loss of consortium
At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, we understand truck accident compensation cannot change the past and that it may never fully make up for the irreversible losses caused by 18-wheeler crashes. Still, we have seen how compensation can help survivors and families heal, cover key expenses, and start to put their lives back together.
Talk to a Covington Truck Accident Lawyer Before It’s Too Late
When you or a loved one has been hurt in a tractor-trailer accident, the sooner you get answers, the better. Find out more about your rights and legal options by contacting a Covington truck accident attorney at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers.
Backed by a tireless dedication and a reputation for diligence, integrity, and success, we provide extraordinary counsel and the highest quality representation when it’s time to seek financial recovery and justice. Discover the difference our team can make in your case and recovery by contacting us today.