Parking Lot Accidents | Louisiana Parking Accident Attorneys
5-Star Advocacy to Maximize Recoveries for the Victims of Parking Lot Crashes
Parking lots and parking garages are often riskier places than we realize. In fact, even though we travel at slower speeds when we’re parking, rapidly changing conditions can present new risks in the blink of an eye — and those risks cause more than 50,000 auto accidents in parking lots and parking garages each year (source: EHS).
In most of these wrecks, the collisions and injuries would have been avoided if at least one party had been more careful and responsible. While that fact doesn’t help victims recover, the parking lot accident lawyers at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can.
For more than 20 years, our experienced attorneys have been tireless, devoted advocates, fighting to help the injured seek justice and win full, fair compensation when it matters most. No matter how you were injured in a parking accident, we can provide the exceptional representation and support necessary to win both in and outside the courtroom.
Just contact Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers for case-specific answers and advice whenever you need it. We are here for you, ready to help 24/7.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation 24/7
Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers has recovered millions in all types of car accident cases, including parking garage and parking lot crash claims. We are ready to make your claim and recovery our next victory.
Click on a link below to jump directly to any section for more on parking garage and parking lot accidents, the available legal remedies, and more.
- What Types of Crashes Happen in Parking Lots?
- What Causes Most Parking Lot Accidents?
- What Can Make Parking Lots Inherently Dangerous?
- Parking Lot Accident Statistics
- How to Prevent Parking Lot Accidents: 6 Safety Tips
What Types of Crashes Happen in Parking Lots?
Various collisions can occur in parking lots and parking garages because several types of travelers converge in these locations. Specifically, some of the most common types of parking lot accidents include:
- Pedestrian accidents
- Back-over crashes
- Rear-end collisions
- Wrong-way wrecks
- Head-on collisions
- T-bone accidents
- Tractor-trailer crashes
- Bicycle accidents
- Motorcycle wrecks
- Multi-vehicle crashes
- Deadly auto accidents
Keep in mind that these parking accidents can occur in nearly any type of lot, garage, or parking facility, including (but not limited to):
- Retail and commercial parking lots
- Single- and multi-level parking garages
- Residential parking lots and/or car ports
- Underground parking garages
- Parking lots or garages with valet service
- Special events parking lots
- Amusement park, arena, or other large venue parking lots
- Parking lots with and without marked (painted) spaces
Whatever type of parking facility ends up being the site of a wreck, victims can trust Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers for honest answers and essential support related to their potential claim.
What Causes Most Parking Lot Accidents?
Like motor vehicle accidents on the roads, parking lot accidents tend to occur when motorists and/or others are negligent. In fact, more than 9 in 10 of these wrecks is caused by human errors (source: NHTSA).
When drivers are negligent, their crash-causing mistakes in parking lots and parking garages tend to include (and are not limited to):
- Distraction: Complacent drivers who don’t think there’s anything to worry about in parking lots are more likely to pick up their phones, play with their radios, or otherwise stop paying as much attention to the act of driving and any pedestrians around them.
- Carelessness: Motorists may stop using blinkers, fail to check their blind spots, or not bother checking their mirrors because they think they’re safe or pretty much alone in parking lots.
- Aggression: Drivers may be in a hurry to park, scoop up the best spot, or get out of a parking lot to get on their way. That could lead to hasty, risky, and/or aggressive maneuvers behind the wheel.
The distracted, careless, and aggressive drivers who cause parking lot accidents can include truckers and folks driving passenger vehicles. However, they aren’t the only ones whose negligence may contribute to parking lot accidents.
Others who can play a role in these crashes include (and are not limited to):
- Pedestrians who act recklessly or carelessly in parking lots
- Property owners and/or managers who fail to maintain safe parking lots
- Planners, engineers, and/or others who design or construct unsafe parking lots
What Can Make Parking Lots Inherently Dangerous?
In some cases, accidents happen in parking lots and parking garages occur because these facilities are innately risky.
That can occur with design oversights and/or construction flaws like (but not limited to):
- Parking spots that are too tight or that are dangerously angled
- Driveways and/or aisles that are too narrow
- Poor or no lighting in parking lots
- Insufficient, conflicting, or confusing signage for drivers
- Risky locations for or a total lack of crosswalks and/or sidewalks
- Non-compliant or a total lack of handicap parking spaces
- Cart corrals, landscaping, or any other features that cover signage or obscure visibility
If negligent motorists drive in parking lots with these types of dangers, the chances of crashes can skyrocket — and every party whose negligence contributed to a wreck can be liable for it.
That may give victims multiple options for recovering, and Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can help you identify those options when it’s time to seek justice.
Parking Lot Accident Statistics
- On average, there are at least 136 parking lot accidents every day in the U.S.
- Annually, parking lot accidents kill at least 500 people while injuring more than 60,000 others.
- At least 51% of all parking lot and parking garage accidents are back-over or back-up collisions.
- Driver distraction is the number one motorist error that causes parking lot car crashes.
- More than 2 out of every 3 motorists admit to using their cellphones while driving in parking lots.
- Teens driving in parking lots are more likely to be distracted by personal grooming while older drivers are more likely to be using their cellphones in parking lots.
- Parking garage and parking lot accidents surge during the holiday season, especially the period between Black Friday and New Year's Day when far more shoppers are out.
- When pedestrians in parking lots and parking garages are young children or the elderly, the chances of death in a parking lot accident spike.
These numbers show how risky parking lots and parking garages can be, but the statistics don’t help victims recover from these wrecks. The parking lot accident attorneys at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers can, however.
We are dedicated to asserting crash victims’ rights, and we can start giving you answers now. Just set up a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation with our 5-star parking lot accident lawyers.
How to Prevent Parking Lot Accidents: 6 Safety Tips
Whenever you walk or drive in parking lots or parking garages, here are a few simple tips that help you stay as safe as possible:
- Remain alert at all times. Things can change quickly in parking areas, and you need to be ready to respond ASAP.
- Look around before attempting a maneuver. That means checking blind spots before backing out of parking spots, keeping an eye out for pedestrians, and looking both ways before using crosswalks (if you’re a pedestrian).
- Always follow the traffic laws but don’t assume others will do the same.
- Take it slower and always comply with the posted speed limits.
- Make yourself as visible as possible. For pedestrians, this means staying within designated walking areas, lit areas, and out of vehicles’ blind spots. For drivers, it means staying in the proper lanes and using headlights whenever necessary.
- Make eye contact with drivers or pedestrians before proceeding. This is a simple way to make sure both parties recognize each other and who has the right-of-way.
Get Confidential Advice from a 5-Star Parking Lot Accident Lawyer 24/7
You may have the right to sue and recover compensation for the injuries you suffered in a parking lot or parking garage accident — but you don’t have unlimited time to file a claim or seek justice. To take swift action, build a strong case, and set it up for success, contact an experienced parking lot accident attorney at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers.
Knowledgeable, tenacious, and compassionate, we are highly skilled at winning all types of parking garage and parking lot accident cases. We know how to prove liability, make the at-fault parties pay, and recover the compensation our clients deserve, so they can move on with their lives.
Discover the difference our team can make in your case and recovery by contacting us today.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation.
Your path to justice can start with a call or an email.