Bossier City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
We Handle Catastrophic Injury Claims
A spinal cord injury is usually life-changing because the symptoms it causes are permanent and immediate. To try to mitigate the harm caused by your spinal cord injury as much as possible, you might need to file a claim or lawsuit against the party that caused it. Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers in Bossier City is here to help you start down that road and reach its successful end.
Our law firm has successfully recovered millions of dollars for past clients, many of whom have suffered life-changing injuries like a spinal cord injury. We know what it takes to build such a claim to the best that it can be, so our clients have a fair and honest chance of getting the compensation they require to recover. It might not be possible to get back to the “normal” that you had before your spine injury, but it should be possible to get to another comfortable place with the financial support obtained through your claim or lawsuit. Let’s get you there sooner than later.
Please call (888) 492-5532 today to discuss your legal options.
Severe Consequences of Spine Injuries
The spine encases the spinal cord, which is a bundle of nerves. As it is with most nerves in the body, they are highly susceptible to severe and permanent damage. Even a small spinal cord injury can cause devastating consequences that change the victim’s life forever.
The location of a spinal cord injury will change how it affects the victim, too. The higher up on the spine the injury is located, the larger number of body parts that can be affected partially or totally by paralysis.
Two common forms of paralysis include:
- Paraplegia: When damage occurs to the lower spine, it can result in paraplegia or paralysis that affects both legs and possibly some organs in the lower abdomen. People with paraplegia usually must live the rest of their lives in a wheelchair.
- Quadriplegia: Damage to the upper spine near the shoulders, neck, and skull can cause quadriplegia or paralysis to all four limbs and the body. Quadriplegia can be life-threatening if it causes major organ failure or complications. Typically, people with quadriplegia require around-the-clock assistance and advanced medical support.
Damages & Losses After a Spine Injury
Living with the physical consequences of a spine injury is challenging. The situation only gets more difficult when considering the financial consequences, too, especially if the liable party does not want to pay anything. Our legal team is committed to getting the most compensation for our clients as possible because we know just how much they are going through.
Damages that add to the value of your spinal cord injury claim can include:
- Medical costs: All past and future treatments should be paid by the liable party. Even if you need lifelong physical therapy to prevent partial paralysis from worsening, the costs should not come out of your savings account.
- Lost wages: If you cannot maintain gainful employment because of your spine injury, then the liable party could owe you past and future wages to make up for your loss of income and earning capacity.
- Permanent disability: Hardships and costs caused by a permanent disability can be counted as damages in a spinal cord injury claim. For example, if you need to install a wheelchair ramp to your front door, then the liable party should pay for that work.
- Pain and suffering: The physical pain and emotional trauma you endure can be translated into non-economic damages that the liable party owes you. It will not make up for what happened, but it can help you find a sense of closure and justice.
- Lessened enjoyment of life: You might understandably feel a lessened enjoyment of life after suffering a paralyzing spine injury that takes away some of your independence and mobility. If you have, then you can demand further non-economic damages.
Hire an Attorney – Call Our Firm Now
You deserve the most compensation possible after suffering a spinal cord injury due to someone else’s mistakes. But you do not deserve the headaches that can come if you pursue that compensation on your own. Leave everything up to our Bossier City spinal cord injury attorneys, and you can rest while we get to work. It can be that simple to pursue justice and compensation.