Duck Boat Accident Lawyers | Duck Boat Injury Attorneys
Winning Representation to Help Duck Boat Accident Victims Recover & Get Justice
Duck boats are risky recreational vehicles that have reputation for being “death traps.” In fact, despite their widespread use — and their ability to carry multiple passengers at once — duck boats aren’t well regulated. And they can be highly susceptible to accidents, both on the roads and in the waters of Louisiana and Texas.
When those duck boat accidents happen, the injuries are often fatal, and some form of negligence is usually to blame.
At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, we have a deep understanding of how devastating duck boat accidents can be. And we know how vital swift action and fierce advocacy is when it’s time to bring a claim and make at-fault parties pay fair damages.
That’s why we have devoted more than two decades to helping duck boat accident victims recover and fight for the justice they deserve. It’s also why you can count on us for strategic, fearless representation in any type of duck boat accident case.
Just contact Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers for case-specific answers and advice whenever you need it. We are here for you, ready to help 24/7.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation 24/7
Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers has an unmatched record of success in all types of boat injury claims, including duck boat accident cases. Let us make your case and recovery our next victory.
Click on a link below to jump directly to any section and get more answers about duck boat accidents, the available legal remedies, and more.
- What Is a Duck Boat?
- Why Are Duck Boats Risky & Dangerous?
- What Causes Duck Boat Accidents?
- Notorious Duck Boat Accident in 2018 Kills 17
What Is a Duck Boat ?
Developed during WWII to support troops and supply chains , duck boats are amphibious vehicles that can function as both a bus and a boat.
Today, most ducks are used as touring and sight-seeing vehicles, taking large groups of people on the roads and waters.
To do that, duck boats have a unique design and distinct features, many of which haven’t been updated very much, if at all, since this vessel’s military days when it was known as “DUKW.”
Some of those features include (and are not limited to):
- Low sides
- Flat bottoms
Why Are Duck Boats Risky & Dangerous?
Some of many dangers associated with duck boats include (and are not limited to):
- Several blind spots, limiting visibility on the roads and waters
- Very low sides, making it easy for duck boats to take on water in choppy or stormy conditions
- No backup buoyancy, which can sink boats faster if they start to take on water
- Canopies and windows, which make it challenging for those onboard to escape if duck boats start sinking
- No side or rear view mirrors, limiting visibility on the roads and waters
It’s critical to note that:
- Duck boats are NOT directly regulated by any federal agency.
- In 2002, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) recommended several safety updates to duck boats to improve survivability in the event of a wreck. As of 2022, those recommendations have still not been acted upon (source: NBC).
These are just some of the reasons why many have called duck boats “death traps” — and why some safety advocates have even pushed for these touring watercraft to be banned in the U.S.
What Causes Duck Boat Accidents?
Most duck boat accidents, injuries, and deaths are caused by:
- Duck boat operator errors: Captain or crew may mishandle duck boats due to inexperience, impairment, or carelessness. Sometimes, that may involve failing to follow safety protocols or ignoring storm warnings.
- Boat mechanical failures: Defective equipment and failures to maintain duck boats can contribute to mechanical failures and terrible accidents.
- Collisions: These crashes can occur on the water when duck boats collide with other watercraft, piers, docks, or barges. Wrecks involving duck boats can also happen on the roads, with these boats hitting other vehicles or pedestrians.
- Bad weather: Some of the worst duck boat accidents on record have occurred when the weather turned for the worse and volatile waters quickly sank these vessels. When it comes to the weather, it’s up to the captain and crew to stay vigilant and make safe calls about when to cut duck boat tours short.
These aren’t the only factors that can cause a duck boat accident, and multiple factors can be involved. Still, you may not know what those factors are right after the accident happens.
With the help of Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, however, you can get clear answers about fault and your legal options for seeking justice.
Our trusted duck boat injury attorneys are ready to hear more about your accident and explain the available legal remedies during a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation.
Notorious Duck Boat Accident in 2018 Kills 17
In July 2018, one of the deadliest duck boat accidents in U.S. history occurred in Branson, Missouri. Killing 17 people, including many children, this duck boat crash happened about 30 minutes after a severe storm warning had been issued in the area.
Video of the deadly duck boat accident showed the vessel:
- Getting battered by torrential waves
- Quickly taking on water both from waves and heavy rains
- Capsizing and sinking
Follow-up investigations revealed that:
- The duck boat operators had allegedly not heeded the storm warnings or followed proper safety protocols. In fact, they told their passengers that they didn’t need to wear lifejackets.
- The vessel was allegedly poorly maintained.
While the captain and crew have since faced criminal charges over the deadly accident, others have used this tragedy as a battle cry for regulating or banning duck boats.
A 5-Star Duck Boat Injury Attorney Is Ready to Help You 24/7
The injuries and deaths caused by duck boat accidents are often preventable. When it’s time to get justice and recover from these accidents, it’s time to contact an experienced duck boat accident lawyer at Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers.
Strategic, resourceful, and tireless, our duck boat accident lawyers are proud to offer the exceptional representation and compassionate service we would expect if we were in your shoes.
Discover the difference our team can make in your claim and recovery by contacting us today.
Call 888-492-5532 or Email Us for a Free, Confidential Consultation. Your path to justice can start with a call or an email.